Luckily, the weather is still cooperating and staying warm enough to work.
I was able to clean up and round off the corners of the cabin tops. I was nervous about this step because there are no good instructions and I didn't know how I wanted it to look, but I cut the cleats and just started using the shinto to shape the corners. It worked great and I was happy.
Using a plane, I was able to get the sides nice and straight, except for the starboard aft corner. See later.
|Detail of the corner. It looks messy here. Sanding fixed it.|
|Again, it looks messy, but sanding cleaned it up.|
|port side with doubler|
He had some problems with the cabin top, but my cabin top just needed a bit of filler.
I used some masking tape to make a dam in that corner and just filled the corner with fillet mix. Later I sanded it and shaped it to match the rest of the roof. Not a problem.
|Starboard side I had to add an extra filler of wood and a tape dam to fill a little bit of the roof top|
|Inside of starboard|
|this corner got cleaned up|
|The cabin top cleaned up|
|First layer of glass|