About

A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Fiberglassing the hull

Quincy and I fiberglassed the hull today. We used 60" wide 6oz fabric, which covered just about the whole boat with small exceptions at the beam.

First, I needed to reinforce the stem.
I had intended to put a layer of 3" then 2" glass on the stem, but I had some scraps laying around that were more like about 5" and 3", so I used those.
Stem with 5" glass

Stem with 3" glass over
I spent quite a bit of time making sure the bottom/garboard seam was fair. The large gap there was hard to fill.
I spent a small amount of time making sure the stem was faired out so that there wouldn't be any nasty bubbles. Then I dusted really well (including vacuuming off the ground) and taped off the bow and stern transoms to make a clear trim line to cut the glass.

I also taped up a skirt to protect from drips. That was a good idea.

glass laid out but not smoothed

smoothed out.

Stern with darts and plastic skirt

Then Quincy and I worked together for about 2 hours to get everything wet out. It went well. We had to work quickly when using batches of 4-5 pumps to make sure it didn't go off.
Here, I put some 410 on the glass seams to fair them out a bit.

Stern.

I still need to trim the glass at the tape line. Then put a fillet on chine #1.
Then we start in on fill coats. I'll likely get a fill coat on later today, followed by 2 more fill coats. The last will be with 410 and 423 graphite powder.
I haven't decided what color to paint the boat. The entire family all have opinions. Someone needs to make a decision.

I'm hoping these days of 60 degree weather will last a little bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment