About

A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Monday, June 1, 2015

Motor mount

Gig Harbor Boatworks built a motor kit kit for me. It's a simple mechanism of a trolling motor, a phenolic slider mount and 2 aluminum channels. I've had it arranged for awhile, but hadn't assembled it until everything got painted.

At first, it didn't slide very well. I called Falk and the crew at GHBoats.com and they said just to dose it with some silicone spray. That worked wonders and now it slides well. There were a couple of areas where the flat head 1/4-20 bolts stuck just a bit proud of the aluminum. I used a table saw to route small grooves on the back of the phenolic mount to free that up a bit.

I tested it briefly in air and it seems to be fairly powerful. 55lbs of thrust isn't a lot, but it's enough to get me away from the dock.

Port side view

starboard side
There is a through block mounted just above the motor. There will be 1/4" line through there and a cleat on the inside.
I put a stainless steel rod through the bottom of the aluminum to prevent a complete drop out of the motor. I also put a brass padlock at the top to prevent someone from walking away with the motor.
A very short quick release pin is inboard for a safety while trailering.

No comments:

Post a Comment