About

A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Finishing the downhaul

I posted on the SCAMP message board asking for pictures of downhauls. I didn't get any pictures, but I did get a link to Michael Storer's page about rigging a lug rig that was very helpful. I wish I'd read that before I started rigging my own boat. I would maybe have understood things a bit better.

I also found a link explaining how mechanical advantage worked. I hadn't thought about it in a long time and that page was helpful to explain the system that I intended to use.

Since I asked for pictures on the thread,  I need to post my own pictures.
After the paint cured, I could attach the fairlead and the cleat

The simulated downhaul

Using a fiddle  on the cabin and a block with a becket on the boom.
Currently, there is only a single Harken block with no becket on the GigHarbor boom. I'll need to either replace that or just tie the line to the padeye.


Coming up next: Softshackles.

No comments:

Post a Comment