A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Friday, May 29, 2015

Bunk raising

The bow eye was too low to be aligned well with the crank, so I wanted to raise the front bunk of the trailer just a bit.

A trip to Lowe's for some vinyl lumber and some outdoor carpet and I was able to build up the bunk.
The vinyl lumber was near the moulding aisle. I was able to get a 10' 1" x 3.5" piece (yeah, like a 5/4 x 4). I had them chop it into 3x 40" pieces.
I used 2 1/2" ceramic coated deck screws to stack those together for a 3" rise, then covered them in outdoor carpet. Luckily I had some double sided carpet tape laying around to hold the carpet to the vinyl as I didn't have any stainless steel staples.

The net result is that the bow is lifted about 3". This gives a nice straight shot from the crank to the bow eye. She looks a bit more aligned with the trailer rather than having the stern up so high in the air.

New bunk
While I was messing around, I took a cue from Simeon and painted the wheel covers to match the boat. It adds a nice touch.
Painted wheel covers

No comments:

Post a Comment