Monday we added on the 2nd plank. Adding the planks was actually quite tricky and required quite a few people. The planks stretch around the boat and have to touch each rib. Normally you'd use small screws into the bulkhead ribs, but we had an 18ga pin nailer (battery operated) that was nearly perfect. Just be sure to use stainless steel nails in case one ever is accidentally exposed.
Tuesday we had a special treat. We went up to the CNC place that had cut our kits. Computer numerically controlled machines are essentially a decently large rotary router head mounted on a really big 3 (or 5) axis machine. The router head moves in the x & y direction, and it can also move up and down on the z axis. Since it's all computer controlled, the operator just has to tell it how fine to make each cut; if you use a 1/16" router bit, then you'll have very fine control over all your cuts but large pieces will take awhile. If you use 1/2" bit you'll chow through material faster. Some machines even have auto-chucks to chuck different size bits. We spent some time there in the afternoon and it was really neat. We also picked up our rudder and centerboard halves. They were mirror images of each other and roughly cut.
Unfortunately, I didn't get raw pictures of the rudder and centerboard. I'll have a post on those later. (As of this writing, I'm still trying to catch up with this blog - I feel I need to write up what we've done, before I go into what we're doing currently.)
By the end of Tuesday, we had placed the third and final plank.
We still have a lot to do though, including putting on gunwhales and inwhales.
Wednesday, we got out the steamer. The gunwales and inwhales are made of yellow cedar 20mm x 30mm. Scott bought a big 13 foot chunk about 4"x5" or so and ripped it down. The yellow cedar piece was clear and beautiful so the resultant beams were very nice. It even smelled nice.
|The standard view before the gunwales|
|And another view.|
It took a long time to get up it's steam up. Scott would race in with a carlin in gloved hands (though they weren't really that hot) and place it on the boat. We'd screw in the aft end and clamp it up along the sides of the boat. We did two per each side of the boat. But we didn't fix them permanently. That came on Thursday when we moved one of the pairs to the inwhale.
In the below picture, you can see the 2 carlins clamped to the boat.
|carlins clamped at the gunwale|