Sunday I spent a lot of time on the boat. It felt like I got a lot done but I don't have much to show for it.
First, I drilled countersunk holes to hold the deck down. I worked from the front to the back and it all lined up nicely. I had to do some filing with the shinto rasp on the ends just to make sure they fit well.
After that was done, I screwed it down. Then I used 1x6 scrap VG fir that I had laying around from a house project to make doublers for the deck cleats. This took awhile to rasp them down to just the right shape. Luckly, 5 1/2" pieces are pretty close to the spacing of the gunwale & inwale near the aft. Near the fore, I had to take about 3/4" off with the table saw.
I put the pieces where I wanted them and they fit in snug, so I drove 2 drywall screws to hold them in place.
Then I flipped over the deck and laid it back on the boat. I glued up the pieces and re-sunk the screws to make sure they were aligned properly. Clamped them and let it cure for a few hours before pulling the screws before it completely set up.
I will need to make a decision about the nav lights soon. I can't find any nav lights that I really like, so I'm considering an LED flashlight instead. I don't plan on doing a lot of night sailing, so it might be just fine.
I plan to complete the sides and the cabin top, then flip the boat over and glass and paint the bottom before flipping it over and finishing the final bits like the cockpit coamings. It's still 3-4 weeks before I can flip her.