A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Transom cap installed

I installed the transom cap. This is the last of the large items to be glued and attached and I'm very happy that I'm starting to finish off the final bits of this build. There is certainly still a lot to do, but major construction is completed.

I started by making blocks to put under the transom cap.
blocks to fill the space. This block had the foreside partially removed for the doubler
Then I iteratively dry fit the transom cap on top of the transom until it all fit together just right. This was time consuming and dust generating. I was happy to have the shinto rasp to chow down the light western red cedar.

I coated the bottom of the transom cap twice and glued on the doubler plate.

Once I had everything the way I wanted it, I finally glued it all up. (No good pictures of this.) I used small screw blocks to hold down the transom cap to the gunwhales.

Once that glue cured, I put in two permanent screws into the inwhales and removed the outer blocks.
Screws into the inwhales

Detailed shot before the filling
(Note the rectangle hole in the transom. That is for the deck block that controls the trolling motor drop.)
Coats on the top and fills at the seams.
To finish the transom cap, I need to get some areas filled and sanded smooth. I've been sanding through the epoxy coating in a few places, so I want to do some more filling.
Once I'm satisfied, then I can move on to paint.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. The transom cap is a pain... It's a major piece and you should be proud to have it "behind" you