A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Hull hardware holes drilled

I spent the weekend placing hardware, drilling holes, filling holes with thickened epoxy, then re-drilling holes.

I now have just about all the hardware ready to be installed. I'll have to paint first, but I've drilled pilot holes into the epoxy fill so that I know where to install everything.

I purchased the 2 1/8" wide Davey & Co pintles & gudgeons from the Chandlery, but I had added an extra 4.2mm chunk of plywood in the middle of the rudder, so they won't fix without major chiseling that I didn't want to do.
I ordered a set of 2 1/2" Racelite from Chuck at Duckworks. Much easier to install, since my rudder was 2 61/128" (according to my caliper).

Chalked a center line
First, I installed the pintles on the rudder. I had to make sure that I could clear the copper tubing that I installed for the downhaul & uphaul lines.
That determined the locations of gudgeons.
Aligning all this was kind of a pita. I had to install only the outside screws on the pintle straps so that I could make sure they were aligned with the gudgeons. Then I had to make sure the gudgeons were straight.
It all worked out. I think this was easier than the bronze p&g from Davey & Co.
Rudder dry fitwith 1/2" flat head screws.

Drilled out the 1/2" screw holes for 1/4-20 round head bolts.
I did develop one interesting technique with all these holes I've been drilling. I drill out the correct size for the hardware I am using and make sure everything fits just like I want. Then I use a step bit to enlarge the holes. I usually go from both sides to get it all enlarged.
Then I can fill half the holes. That way I can align everything just like I want.
I enlarged the 2 center holes and filled them. Then I drilled correct holes through the epoxy. Finally, I enlarge and drill out the other set of holes.

Shot of the rudder head with some holes filled.
 I also found the time today to dry fit the cockpit coamings. I screwed them in with 1" #8 screws.
cockpit coamings dry fit
I had planned to go out tonight and glue them in, but it's too cold in the garage and I don't want to leave the heater on all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment