I'd been messing with this one in my head for quite awhile, but hadn't made any final decisions until today.
I knew I needed good tension from to back. I toyed with the idea of putting rotating turnbuttons on the top of the cabin roof, but didn't like how that would look or how it could snag.
I came up with the idea to have a bungee in the hem of the cover that held it over the lip on the cabin top.
I attached small bronze cleats on either side of the cabin.
|cabin side cleats|
I also found some duck canvas on sale. That sealed the deal as to what fabric to use.
I hadn't used a sewing machine in quite some time, but I dragged ours out and started to sew it all up.
|Sewing machine and burgundy canvas.|
|Full side shot of the attached canvas.|
|turn button stud under the gunwale.|
|you can see the loop in the front hem.|
I also used turn buttons on the aft transom to hold the canvas. I only have 2 on there at the moment. I will have to change that, but for now it's ok.
|rear needs trimming|
Yes, I know duck canvas is not waterproof. I plan to waterproof it with Thomson's water seal. I can always buy some nylon tent rain fly fabric and cut that into a fly as well. It'll likely be quite a bit more expensive, so I'll hold off until I need it.
There is definitely still work to do; the bottom hem needs elastic bands to keep it tight down around the gunwales; the back needs to be trimmed; and it needs some waterproofing. But it'll be ok for the Crooza.