About

A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Temporary oarlock tent pole holders

I didn't want to mount the bronze oarlocks I bought from Duckworks permanently to the coamings until I knew exactly where I wanted them.

I used some leftover Trex to make blocks that fit around the coamings. They are probably too big, but they're temporary until I decide how I really want them mounted.
Trex blocks with a slot

Mount the oarlocks to the blocks

Finished blocks

Tent pole installed (it may be a bit too tall)

Shot of the tent pole
I need to figure out how to mount drape the tarp over the pole and mount it to the cabin top and to the stern.

I also need a way to stop the poles from slipping through the bottom of the oarlocks.

I'll also want to tether the blocks. I don't want to lose the oarlocks as I love how they look.

2 comments:

  1. How did these work out for you?
    I am looking for a solution to adding rowlocks onto a quickboat.
    see www.quickboats.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The first night that I stayed in the boat, the springy tent pole sprung and I watched my carefully prepared oarlock holder bounce across the deck and splash into the drink. Gone forever. I still had one and the pole, so I was able to wedge the pole into the seat backs and use the tent for camping.

      Lesson learned: tether everything.

      I have now mounted the oarlocks permanently and the tent has held up a heavy sheet of PVC and a tarp for the entire winter.

      Delete