A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Seat wells have new cleats

A comment from Simeon on my last posting prompted me to glue in some cleats against the hull to make sure the tops were well secured and didn't sag when people stood on them.

This is generally pretty easy. I just cut the cleats and mark them against the hull. Then I coat the backsides with unthickened epoxy. After they are all done, then I thicken up the rest of the epoxy and use it like a glue against the hull. I also pin the cleat to the hull with two nails. The 1" stainless nails are just perfect to go through the cleat and into the 9mm plywood without bursting out the back.
Two cleats behind the hatch cutout.

This looks lopsided, but it's straight. It's for the rear circular hatches.
I am starting to run out of yellow cedar and I will need more for various places in the top. I'l have to pick up some more and rip it to the right 20mm x 30mm size.

As long as I had the epoxy mixed up, I coated the centerboard cover. My trick in the previous posting worked pretty well, but there were some gaps that I wanted to fill. The tape hammock didn't work perfectly. It was easy to fill the gaps with thickened epoxy.
Long shot of the centerboard cap.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this weekend's accomplishments. I need to do some sanding to give the epoxy some tooth, then I can prime the seat well and then paint them. After that, I'm ready to glue on the seat tops.

Before I glue on the seat tops, I need to make sure there is nothing else I want to do inside there.
I considered adding 2 bilge pumps. I wanted to put the bilge pumps between B4 & B5 and then coil up a flexible hose and hang that on a hook under the seat. When there was water in the sump, I could open the hatch, throw the hose over the edge and flip a switch. I decided that running the wiring was going to be a real pain it'd be easier to buy a hand pump.
If anyone has any ideas about what to put under the seats, let me know.


  1. In all of my under-sole compartments, the lower area forward of B3, and in the seat lockers, I put small eye-straps in the lower 4 corners. There are 6 in the water ballast tank, as well as 6 in the under-sole area between B5 & B6.

    A hole drilled low in the web of the bulkheads would serve as well.

    These are there for tie off points to tie things in to keep them from moving around in a heavy seaway or in the event of a capsize.

    Most were glued/screwed into the cleats, but a few were screwed into a small 6mm pad and that was then glued to the hull planking.


  2. Eyelets or tie down points are a good idea.
    I'll work on those.

    I plan to install hammock hooks in B4 and B5 so that I can hang a small toy hammock under the hatch.

  3. Jeff -

    I installed a couple small shelves for things like wallet/keys/phone/etc,, so they wouldn't be finding their way down to the most inaccessible spots.

    I will access these through round hatches in B4, and you can see details of that on my blog at:


    -- Dave

  4. Rather than shelves, I wanted to install small hammocks for loose gear. The hammocks I linked from Amazon have a pretty wide mesh and I don't think they'll hold car keys very well. I need to find some small hammocks with finer mesh.

    My dad had an old Snipe that had under deck hammocks that worked really well.

    I suppose I could tie some custom hammocks, but that seems to be a longer term project. Maybe something to do when then garage is too cold to work with epoxy.