A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Starting to look like a boat

Today the glue was dry on the fore sole. I cleaned it up a bit and then did the filleting. In the below shot you can see I did the fillets and I also cleaned up the puzzle joint.
Fillets done
Before that, I put down all the hatches where they are supposed to go and snapped some pictures. It is starting to look like a boat.

Long shot

The veranda

Veranda and the battery well

Veranda, battery well and seats.
This evening, I painted the exposed surfaces of the fore and aft sole. This will protect it from footprints and marred wood. I've already dropped a few tools and scarred up the wood a bit. The epoxy should protect that very well. I haven't decided yet if I'll do the second coat or if I'll wait awhile to glue on the sole doubler.
I used the Abranet sanding disks on a random orbital sander to clean up the puzzle joints and sanded right through a ply or 2, so I put on micro balloons to smooth it out. It still has a ton on strength there, so I'm not worried about it.
Painted surface. You can see I added some micro balloons over the puzzle joints

And a long shot back. More micro balloons over the oval fills.
Tomorrow will be a busy day at work, so I'm not sure what I'll accomplish. I also need to stop at WestMarine for some more filleting mix and some 610 tubes.

I think the next thing I'd like to do is to get some doubler plates created for the motor mounts. That will be complicated to get correct and I may not be able to mount them until after I glue the seats down.

No comments:

Post a Comment