About

A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Monday, October 20, 2014

hull doubler glued down and filleted

Last night I went back out and glued down the doubler and the tripler. It took an entire tube of 6-10 and about 10 pumps to get it all painted and glued.

I didn't get a picture, but I put two 5 gallon buckets of water and a case of 7 12x18 tiles on top of it to weight it down. I checked it this evening when I got home and it had a nice curve to it. Exactly what I wanted.

I wanted to get it filleted tonight while the other glue was still curing for a nice bond. I mixed up some filleting mix and got to work.
Hull doubler is down. I haven't painted the top piece yet

All the way to the stern.
I hadn't filleted in much of the last area between B7 & B8, so I got that. Now I know the last 2 chambers are ready for the last 2 coats of epoxy and then a coat of primer and finally paint.

I made up my mind yesterday that I should mask off the areas just under where the seats will stop. Then I can prime up to that point. When I put the seats on there will be a nice surface to grab and I can even put a small fillet in there. That will mean much of the area under the veranda will be unfinished. I kind of like the idea of working my way backward and finishing up each section, but pragmatism might be the word of the day.

I haven't cut my sleeping bed piece yet. Maybe this weekend.

A note about filleting mix: I liked the stuff Howard had recommended. It was a strange purple color, but it was smooth. I had a bag of wood flour left over from my old pygmy kayak build. I had mixed up my own filleting mix from 405, wood flour and a bit of cab-o-sil. My mixture is nice and hard, but dried to a rough texture that I didn't like. Tonight I added some 410, not a lot. That really smoothed the mixture out. I like the fillets in the foot well. They'll be nice and smooth after I touch them up with a gloved hand dipped in alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment