A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Busy weekend

Friday night I finally got around to doing some boat work.
I cut out the spot for the electrical panel above the port side B3 hatch. Then I glued in some doublers.
I'm sloppy with my doublers. Don't laugh.
Electrical switch panel

shot from the fore

Saturday I woke up and had to do some work on the neighborhood signs. That took until mid-afternoon.

Then I took Quincy to the video game store to swap out some old video games and stop at West Marine for a battery fuse. It was incredibly expensive for a battery terminal fuse, but I feel more comfortable having a fuse right at the battery.
I also picked up some crimp terminals while I was there. The book recommends a special marine crimp terminal and heat shrink. I think I have everything for electrical now, I just need to execute my plan.
While there, I took a look at anchors. While I think I could build an anchor box, I think it's a better idea to use the hatches behind B3 as anchor storage. I think I will put in an anchor rode storage just like on Simeon's Noddy. That was convenient although it takes awhile to roll it all in there. I'll make mine a bit deeper than the one on Noddy.

Saturday evening I went to a concert. I accomplished nothing on the boat on Saturday.

Sunday, I woke up with every intention of priming the rudder top and the entire area behind B3. But during sanding of the rudder top, I wasn't sure if I sanded through to the wood. I wanted to make sure that was well coated. I re-coated it. I actually like the way it looks, I just wanted one more coat over a couple areas. I also kind of liked the 410 fairing mix. It sanded easily.

And while sanding the doublers for the electric panel, I definitely sanded through. And I realized that I needed a second coat anyway.
And I realized I needed to fillet inside the gap for the mast box and a couple other small spots.
So I painted and filleted for awhile. That was productive, but it meant I couldn't prime at all until it cured.

So instead I cut the sole pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment