A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Sole hatches

Last evening, I decided that I wanted to double the battery well underside of the sole. I found a scrap piece that fit and glued it to the hatch. I do plan to put a doubler on the sole top as well, but this just ensures that I have good strength for an area that will likely see some foot traffic.

Extra strength on the sole
I also doubled a large part of the aftmost sole. This is on the bottom, I'll have to cut the hatch hole  through 2 layers of 9mm. And I'll add the sole doubler on top of that for a total of 27mm, which should be plenty strong.
Using a water bucket for weight to glue the underside sole doubler.
I'm getting to the point where I will want to glue those pieces down. It will still be quite awhile as I want to get the electrical done first.
Once I have those pieces glued down, I can take the existing sole doubler and cut around the hatches and lay that down. It should look nice.

I even ordered a tube of non-skid granules. I'll mix that into some epoxy and roll it onto just the doubler.

No comments:

Post a Comment