A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Friday, October 31, 2014

Preparing for sole glue down; electrical mounting

Tonight, I painted under the aft sole piece.
Paint, not primer

I also touched up the underside of the sole with epoxy. It's now had 2 very thick coats and 3 around the edges of the doubler. Tomorrow sometime, I'll make sure the paint is dry in the well, then I'll glue it down. I'll use 5 gallon buckets filled with water for weights.
Underside of aft sole. The doubler plate will have a hatch

I had made up my mind last night about the electrical components and where to mount them, but I needed a doubler plate to make sure that the screws don't go all the way through. Tonight, I found a piece of scrap from a hatch that was just about perfect. I had to figure out how to glue that in; I just abused a couple clamps.
I used a whole tube of 610 epoxy for the floor plates in the foot well, I've used about a 1/2 tube for the sole doubler above and the plate below. I'm going to need some to glue down the sole doubler. I better buy some more.
The plate is pushed in with spreaders

Further away shot. You can see it will be a mounting plate
I'll have to fillet that plate tomorrow sometime. I'll coat it more when I coat inside the seat wells.

No comments:

Post a Comment