About

A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Glassing the rudder

Quincy and I were working on sanding the inside of the hull.

But we got bored and I wanted to get that centerboard glued up. We messed around with figuring out how to get the two halves glued together with a lot of weight. We finally decided we could fill a couple buckets with water. I also put some tile on top.


Gluing up the centerboard
I used a lot of weight, because the rudder had a few small open spots on the side where it didn't get clamped quite tight enough. I didn't shape those well enough and got bubbles under the glass. I don't know of a good way to fill those, so I had to cut out the glass and fill it with micro balloons.
Here is a shot of one side of the rudder glassed. I did it on the flat rather than on the side. I probably should have done it the way the manual said. I ended up getting some glass overlapped and it was a pain to sand.

The rudder glassed.
Somewhere in here, I got a shot of the bow. We've sanded quite a bit of the inside of the bow, but it's tedious.
The bow
Back to the rudder, I decided to use epoxy with microballons to fill in some of the lumpy spots rather than sand through the glass. Below is a shot of the micro balloons filling some of the rough spots. That worked rather well after sanding.

Smoothing with micro balloons.


No comments:

Post a Comment