About

A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sole cut

While I was wondering what to do next, I decided I could cut the sole.

Howard had talked about making a foot well between B5 & B6. Since Quincy is rather tall, I wanted to leave that open as a foot well. I even had what I consider a brilliant idea to create a drop down plate. That way you can have your foot well and have a solid sleeping platform for when you needed that.
I had deliberately not filleted in the area between B5 & B6 so that I could put down a hull doubler.

Today, I laid down the sole and took measurements for the cut.
Sole in place

Sole in place
I made the cut. I was a bit nervous here, if I had screwed up, I didn't have a similar piece and would have had to pick up another 4x8 sheet of 9mm.
But I did it correctly and everything looked great.
hull doubler is down, along with second doubler
I even took the tail end of the sole and cut it as a tripler that will lay down in between B5 & B6. (In the picture above, the tripler is raised because there are 2 screws in the doubler that I use as handles.) This will give me 2 locations to put in elvstrom bailers if I want. They should work well in that part of the hull. I'm not sure I'll do that, we'll see how much water I'll collect there.
I took the other large piece of marine plywood that I have and cut the final sole piece. This looks great to me. I no longer have those little spots for mini bailers.
sole is down, no bailer spots!
Also today, I cut out the hatch for above the battery well (nee water ballast well).
Tonight, I hope to go out and glue down the doubler and glue the hatch doublers as well.

I decided not to cut the sole for the aft hatch. It's likely that I'll walk over that quite a bit, so I'll cut it just before I glue it down. I do want to coat and sand the area under there as soon as possible now.

This week if I get some time, I will prime every thing that needs to be primed and maybe fillet in the sole doubler/tripler. I can also get the battery mounted and string the electrical.



No comments:

Post a Comment