About

A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Starting to finish the rudder and centerboard

There has been a lot of time sanding and fairing the rudder and centerboard with micro balloons. Frankly, I'm getting sick of it.

I tried creating many thnk laters of micro balloons and I won't be doing that again. I think it's much better to slather on a thick coat and sand it later. This is tricky to do to get a smooth layer because I've been making it too thick. I think I've got a good process now.

The white stuff is micro balloons
Now that I think it's fairly smooth with micro balloons, it's time to coat it with epoxy with graphite powder in it. I picked up can of West Systems graphite powder. The graphite adds a lot of abrasion resistance.

First coat of graphite epoxy rolled on.
I was unhappy with the runs that happened down the side and around the bottom.
I had to do more sanding to get those off. Although when I got to it, it was still somewhat green, so razor blade scraping worked very well. Unfortunately, I got back down to the microballons in a few places.
I'll do one more coat, but this time, I'll hang them from the ceiling so that it won't drip like that again.

I don't think I mentioned it, but I needed to cut new pieces for the rudder spacers. When I left camp, I had only 2 of each and I'm supposed to have 4.
These are the rudder internal pieces


I had to cut the other 4 (2 of each) pieces. I had to do it with a jigsaw, and my mad jigsaw skillz need some improvement. I'll have to take some time to clean up the edges.
Again, you can see how I used the 1/4" dowels to put it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment