A blog about SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) boats. Covering the build, sailing the boat and the scamp community that has formed around this little portly boat.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

More rudder work

Here is a quick shot of the centerboard pin. I used some epoxy with graphite in it to glue the pin to the plate. I did thicken it first, that's why it looks grey.
I also realized that I filled the holes with microballons. I'll want to drill those back out and use wood flour thickened epoxy instead.

centerboard pin
I was really excited about the rudder. I dry fit the entire rudder together to see how it looked. I think it looked great. I had ordered a pull pin for the tiller from McMaster and the exact right length of 3/8" stainless bolt and acorn. I ran around the house with the assembly in my hand showing everyone.
dry fit rudder.
 I still have a long ways to go, but at least some things are starting to look like they might be complete someday.

Alas, I did have to take it apart so that I could glue it.

Glue up

I put the bolt and pin in to make sure they everything lined up correctly.
Once it was dry, it was time to clip the dowels with a japanese flush cut saw. How I love that flush cut saw for things like this.
trim the dowels

It then got sanded a bit.
raw copper tubes

the trimmed out part

View down into the graphite epoxy foil chamber.

I hung it and painted it a few days later.
looking good

No comments:

Post a Comment